Learn About Wooden Sticks with Our Infographic
The Wonderful World of Wood
Whether you're browsing for your first walking stick or your latest cane, you'll notice that sticks tend to be made from one of two materials: wood and metal.
At WalkingSticks.co.uk there are 15 types of wood for you to choose from.
Hardwood creates strong and sturdy walking sticks. Suitable woods include:
Wooden shafts are often coupled with handles shaped for comfort. Styles include:
- Knobstick: The classic design connects you with nature and fits perfectly into the palm of the hand
- Shepherd's Crook: Both traditional and practical, the shepherd's crook is a great choice for everyday use and long country walks
- Hiking Staff: The staff handle allows for easy grip, making it great for hiking and long walks
- Thumbstick: The natural "V" shape allows you to rest your thumb comfortably while using
- Fischer Handle: Anatomical design for improved comfort and support
- Derby Handle: Typically made from either wood or plastic, the derby is a popular choice for cane handles
- Crutch Handle: A traditional and popular handle type that offers both support and comfort with a wooden shaft
- Horn Handle: The horns of buffalos, stags and rams are often used for a unique appearance
Coppiced sticks are made from trees that have been cut back to ground level. This improves growth of the tree and helps with conservation.
If you don't require a walking stick for mobility purposes, then a wooden cane with a novelty handle is a great way to help you stand out. Novelty handles include:
- Gothic Skulls
- Brass Handles
- Animal Heads
- Historical Figures
- And so much more...
Find your perfect wooden walking stick at WalkingSticks.co.uk